Saturday, June 23, 2012

Day 59 - 61

Day 59: Distance hiked: 25.8 miiles. Started from Manassas Gap at 7 AM and went through Sky Meadows State Park.  It was a scorching day (95 degrees) and the heat just kept trying to suck the life out of me.  At around mile 15, I entered what is called "The Roller Coaster," which is a 13 mile stretch with ten steep ascents and descents. The Roller Coaster is never a fun ride for anyone, especially when doing it miles 16-26 to end your day. I got through it though and ended the day at the Bear's Den hostel (so far my favorite hostel of the trip).  For $27.50 you get a bed with fresh linens, a tombstone pizza, a pint of Ben and Jerry's, a soda, a load of laundry, a shower with soap and towel, internet, use of the kitchen, and all-you-can-eat pancakes for the length of your stay.  Pure awesomeness.





Day 60: Distance hiked: 19.8 miles. Surpassed the 1000 mile mark! I left Bear's Den around 9 AM and hiked the final distance to Harper's Ferry.  The first three miles were the remainder of The Roller Coaster and then after that it was pretty much a smooth hike into the city. I left Virginia behind (4 states down!), saw several more deer and a doe, and arrived in Harper's Ferrry at around 6:30 PM, just before a big thunderstorm, one day AHEAD of schedule. So thirty-four days ago, whoever bet against me averaging over 20 miles a day until I reached Harper's Ferry, I have just one word for you, "FAIL." All joking aside, it's great to be here in Harper's Ferry and I'm excited to see my family!





Day 61: Distance hiked: ZERO. I'm sitting here in Harper's Ferry waiting for my brother, brother-in-law, three cousins, and uncle to arrive.  They should arrive around 6 PM and we plan on grabbing a great dinner and then retiring for the night. Then we'll all hike out tomorrow morning and spend the next two days hiking to Smithsburg, MD where they will then go back home and I will continue on.  Today I'm doing the usual resupply, laundry, town bit and am going to take a trip over to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy to "kiss the ring" if you will, get my picture taken for the Class of 2012, and sign the register.  I'm looking forward to a relaxing day and only the second zero day in the past month and a half! My feet are so happy for the break.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.