Sunday, April 29, 2012

Day 4-6

Day 4: Distance hiked: 11.5 miles. I started off from Neel Gap with Leon and Le-dizzle. We made good time and arrived at the Low Gap shelter at 2:30, just before the rain. I quickly set up hammock and took a nap through the rain period. The log book from the shelter said a bear had wandered through camp the night before so expectations of a possible encounter were high. Unfortunately, not as much excitement for us. Crazy Beard broke out his banjo though (that's right, he carries a banjo if little else) and so I sat around and listened until I retired for the night.

Day 5: Distance hiked: 15.4 miles. I hiked all day by myself and despite my knees killing me on the downhills I still managed to do just over 15 miles. I arrived at Tray Montain shelter in time for sunset and admired the view briefly before eating two packages of pop tarts and calling it a night. Meeting Yoda and Pacman at Tray Shelter was a plus.


Day 6: Distance hiked: 11 miles. This day began with excrutiating pain as my knees tried to make it down Tray Montain. Somehow I found the will to keep going and met up with Pacman around mile 5 and finished another 6 miles with him to Dick Creek Gap. I came across some bear droppings during the first five miles but still no bear sighting while hiking (saw one coming into Amicaola). I'm currently at a Budget Inn in Haiwassee, Georgia and I just ate an huge all-you-can-eat buffet dinner at Daniel's Steakhouse. I'm taking a day off tomorrow to let my body/knees recover from the 70 mile hell I just put them through. Things I've learned: 1. I'll take uphill over downhill anyday. 2. Elevation matters--climbing up and down the equivalent of the Willis Tower four or five times a day wearing a 40 lb pack hurts. 3. I need to drop more pack weight no matter what the cost to creature comforts.



5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures Koozie. Take care of
    those knees and don't become bear food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep pushing through terry. We had a rough weekend of gardening, karaoke and lounging. Kitty and ryder miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terry 6
    Bears 0

    Chi. bears 0 They need an a OLT in the draft. and did not draft a lineman?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments all! I'll be doing my best.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.