Saturday, June 23, 2012

Halfway stats/thoughts

Most people view Harper's Ferry as the more or less halfway point of the AT going north (the actual halfway point is another 75 miles north but usually when it comes to timing, it's generally the halfway point because people are able to do more miles the second half (that is they are better conditioned) and thus it takes less time). Anyway, some halfway stats: Distance hiked: 1016.6 miles; Zero days: 7; Hiking days: 54; Average distance hiked per hiking day: 18.8 miles; Mountains climbed: >97; Knobs climbed: >19; Balds climbed: >8; Gaps hiked into and out of: >151; Weight lost: 23 lbs.

Some thoughts: I've been asked some questions from other hikers as well as friends and family regarding whether hiking the trail is worth it and whether I ever want to quit (and other hikers ask me how it is to hike at the pace I've been going).  Let me try to answer these questions...This may surprise some people to hear, but hiking the trail at my current pace is not really as fun as it looks. I'd say it's about 70% work and misery and 30% refreshing and thrilling. Let me explain. Imagine this: let's say it's 85 degrees outside and someone tells you to put on a 40 lb pack and walk for the next 10 hours without stopping. It doesn't matter how tired you are or how bad your feet hurt, you have to keep walking for at least 10 hours no matter how good or bad you feel. Now when you are done doing that, that same person says congratulations, that was the easiest day you are gonig to have for the next 130. Every day from then on you will be hiking the same 10 to even 14 hours a day, but over vast elevation changes, not to mention sometimes while soaking wet and cold, sometimes through scorching heat, and sometimes with blisters, pains, bruises, etc. That's the Appalachian Trail for me. Does quitting sound appealing? Yes. Will I ever quit? No. So the question would be why? Well, aside from the thrilling aspects of seeing a bear or other animal and/or climbing a peak and sitting up at a magnificent viewpoint (some of the moments will be ingrained in my memory forever), it's more about how I feel when I'm NOT hiking. Everything, and I mean everything, feels new and refreshing. From a sip of soda to being able to sit on a chair (or even just being able to sit down!), everything feels SOOO good.  Whether it be a nice shower, a smooth surface underfoot, air conditioning, gourmet food, clean laundry, a bed, and/or pretty much every other normal day thing you can think of, coming off the trail it feels new, refreshing, and very luxurious. I am never bored while off the trail. Give me somewhere to clean myself up and rest my feet and I feel as good as if I just won the lottery. Everything is like that and that feeling of freshness and experiencing tastes and textures again like it's for the first time is priceless.  I remember having a similar feeling coming out of basic training (Plebe summer) but this is even more drastic as I am even more deprived, more exhausted, and more lonely. I'm not sure if I'm getting my point across but coming off the trail, I am grateful for EVERYTHING and it feels so good to be alive. I think a lot of times in everyday life people fall into routines, get used to the stuff around them, and only very rarely get super excited about certain things. Imagine getting excited for every meal, everytime you sat down, everytime you took a sip of something that wasn't water, on and on. It's a pretty incredible way to experience life. Anyway, I think I've said enough. Will it be worth it when I finish?  Aside from all the great times, memories, and experiences while on the trail (and there are a whole lot of those as well, don't let me fool you), I think if I can capture and hang on to that feeling of newness and appreciation for all things, even for just a few months (hopefully much longer), my life will be invariably changed for the better. So in short, yes, I think it's worth it and no I am never going to quit. 1167.4 to go. Katahdin awaits...

11 comments:

  1. Awesome thoughts. If only all Americans could gain such an appreciation and learn not to take the simplest joys in life for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Kooz! May your new trail buddies help with some of the lonliness! Only other thoughts as you currently left West Virginia today, is that was your last chance to marry a local southern gal :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. You'd never know it, Terry. If you didn't tell us about that 70% -- it's not like we think the AT is easy, but your blog posts aren't miserable in the least. That's why you ARE going to make it -- your attitude.

    Thanks for sharing it with us. I always come away from your blog more motivated -- no mountains nearby, so maybe I'll, oh, vacuum or something :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So how did you like Harper's Ferry? I've been there a couple of times but never because of hiking the Trail...I am a wimp! I hope having your family with you for a few days will be a huge encouragement for the next leg of your journey. Hang in there. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked Harper's Ferry - very historic feel to it and the downtown area was so quaint. It was also so great to be around family. Everyone was such a trooper and I'm so happy to share the experience with them. I have an amazing family and having all that support was awesome!

      Delete
  5. Hey man!
    I made it to Harpers Ferry yesterday. Hope to see you again!
    Sonic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome bud! I hope the canoeing went well. I'll be hiking from md 17 Smithburg tomorrow and going about 20 miles. Hope to see you again soon.

      Delete
  6. Great words to live by! Congratulations on making it almost half way. We're behind you all the way and keep those pictures and stories coming. I truly hope we get to meet you on Katahdin!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.